Tuesday, September 29, 2015

book review(s)

I have two book reviews from last month to share today. If you recall I was reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith, then jumped right into Yes, Please by Amy Poehler. I am here today to give my thoughts and overall opinions of each book. 


Lets start with The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. In case some of you don't know Robert Galbraith is a pseudo name for J.K. Rowling...yes her. I will start this by saying that I have never read a Harry Potter book from cover to cover. I thought the first one started really slow so I put it down and never picked it back up. I have also only seen the first Harry Potter movie- I know, no judgement. I was a little hesitant to read this book for that very reason. J. K. Rowling's writing isn't my favorite. This book was no different. It started extremely slow for my liking, but I didn't put the book down. I kept pushing myself to keep reading, and by the midpoint I was completely hooked. Without giving too much away this book is a murder/mystery novel with a twist. It takes place in London so I do read to myself in a terrible British accent, but the ending left me sitting on the edge of my seat-never wanting to put the book down. Overall I think this was a great read with an okay story line. There is a squeal called The Silkworm that I plan on reading this fall. 



The second book that I read was Yes Please by Amy Poehler. If you have no idea who Amy Poehler is you have either (a) been living under a rock for the last 10 years, or (b) have no access to the internet. Please take a minute to watch this lovely lady at work. Back to the book review. I love Amy Poehler and want to be reincarnated as her when I die so I knew I would love this book-even if it was complete garbage. I am here to tell you that it is not complete garbage-it is actually quite amazing. This book is an autobiography/memoir/life lessons book. It was a light, easy read meaning that I could go through 60-100 pages in one sitting without being book drained or thinking too much. Overall I would give this book two thumbs up-because I only have two thumbs. It is also now available in paperback which is the one thing I didn't enjoy about reading this book. I am an avid spine folding reader so having it only in hard back was a little bit of a bummer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment