Monday, February 24, 2014

the national zoo

The highlight of the week was my trip to the Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington D.C. They are big on species conservation and animal education. There is quite a lot of activity happening at the zoo right now. From Bao Bao the baby panda, and the new lion cubs that were born a few weeks ago. You can find the link to the zoo here National Zoo. Below are some photos I took from the zoo, and the quality isn't the best since I used my iPhone. 

This was an anaconda from the reptile house

One of my favorite photos form the zoo trip

Hermit crab in the invertebrate exhibit

Mama panda

The main point of the trip was to see Bao Bao, the new panda cub. We waited in line for about 30 minutes and while in line we could watch the 24/7 live panda cam. The entire time we waited she was active and playing around in the den. I checked back to the cam about 5 minutes before we walked through the door and she was still active....how lucky right?!? Right as we walked through the door to the enclosure she waddled to her closed door den and fell asleep immediately. SO FRUSTRATING!

Even though I didn't get to see Bao Bao, the trip was still a great success. I also found my absolute favorite animal while I was there....the oriental small-clawed otter! So adorable 

No comments:

Post a Comment