Thursday, April 21, 2016

book reviews

I have been on a reading roll, since recovering from my book hangover. First I read The Secret Life of Bees and then I read The Girl on the Train. Both were incredibly satisfying and had me wanting more after I turned the last page.


The Secret Life of Bees is set in the American south during the start of the Civil Rights movement. It follows the life of a teenage girl in search of information about her mother. She finds her self in a very unusual place, but feels as though that is where she belonged her whole life.


It was an easy read and didn't induce any nightmares, which is always a plus in my mind. I know there is a movie based on the book starring Dakota Fanning, but I have yet to watch it. The books are usually better, but if I happen to watch it I will add it to this post.



The other book I finished this month was The Girl on the Train and let me say this...it totally lived up to the hype. This book was AMAZING!! It may have given me nightmares, but I couldn't put the book down and I found myself reading at all hours of the night.



This book is set in London and follows a woman who takes the commuter train into town every morning. She watches out the window of the train and daydreams about what people's lives are like on the other side of the tracks. When a girl goes missing, the girl on the train proves to be a key component in solving the mystery. If you like mystery fiction with a little suspense check this book out. It feels very much like Gone, Girl so if that's your cup of tea you will enjoy this story. 

There is a movie coming out in October 2016 that tells this story. The main character is Emily Blunt and you can check out the teaser trailer from Universal Studios.  



No comments:

Post a Comment